Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

How to Make a Craft Mesh Betta Hammock

I think that it's time for a craft! Today I'm going to teach you how to make a 'betta hammock' out of plastic mesh. You will need:

  • Plastic 'craft mesh'. This can be found at most craft stores for less than a dollar per sheet. I prefer natural colors such as green, but you can use virtually any color. In this tutorial I use transparent white, because that is all I have at the moment.
  • Scissors.
  • X-acto knife
  • Fishing line





The materials, all laid out.




Decide where you'd like to trim, then trim your mesh. I like to have it 4-5 inches wide, and then simply as long as the sheet of mesh is.
Trimming the mesh.

This is what you'll end up with.


You'll see that along the edge where you've cut, there are a bunch of little burs. These can potentially hurt your fish, so you must trim them off. Use your X-acto knife for this.

the burs.

Trimming them off.



Roll the mesh into a cylinder. I like to have it about two or three inches around.




As you can see, there's some excess. Trim this off.





You'll end up with this:

Obviously, you'll need to fasten it together somehow. This is where the fishing line comes in.
Weave the line through the area where the two edges of mesh touch, all the way to the other side.



Once you've done that, tie off the ends... 

...and trim the excess.

Ta-da! you're finished!


My bettas each have their own, and they all love them!

Forte, lounging in his hammock.


Good luck, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment